electronic travel authorization

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Updated – December 27, 2019

As of March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa. However, from March 15, 2016 until fall 2016, travellers who do not have an eTA can board their flight, as long as they have appropriate travel documents, such as a valid passport. Find answers to your questions about the leniency period.

Entry requirements for other methods of travel (land, sea) have not changed.

Electronic Travel Authorization is a simple online process that costs CAD 7.  Processing time – usually within a few minutes but up to several days.

For more information, please contact us.